|Main -> Photography -> Gallery -> Cemeteries -> Sankt Marx||[sitemap]|
The Marxer Friedhof is named after Sankt Markus (Saint Marc) whose name was written as "Marx"
in previous times. St. Marx was the patron saint of hospitals during the middle ages.
The Cemetery was built outside the city walls under Kaiser Joseph II as result of his medical and hygienic reforms. The first burial took place in 1784. The cemetery was closed in 1874 after the Zentral Friedhof, further away from the city, was opened. In the 1920s it was going to be transformed into a park but this could fortunately be prevented. The cemetery was placed on the monument conservation list and renovated in 1936/1937. During the last months of World War 2 it was damaged severly by airplane bombing but soon after restored. This cemetery is the only remaining Biedermeier cemetery world-wide.
Well-known people burried here: